Wednesday, August 13, 2008

the hamburger on the porch

I know one of my worst qualities is that I get annoyed very easily, and when I do, I can't get the fuck over it. Particularly when it comes to living situations and neighbors. I feel like my nearly 60 year old father with the gripes I have with neighbors... am I turning old? Yikes. I recently moved to DeSoto to live in a quieter environment (and, admittedly, to get more for my money, as far as space and amenities go). I live in an apartment building with four units, including my own, and I believe most are inhabited by one or two childless persons. The unit below me, though, has children intermittently visiting, so I will occasionally hear the banter and crying of young kids. I suppose it's not too bad - I mean, I did trade obnoxious undergrads for families and children out here in DeSoto - but I was most bothered by the hamburger on the porch. The aforementioned neighbors downstairs have (tacky) camping chairs on their front porch, right by the door that I use to go to my upstairs apartment. For days, they had a styrofoam take-out container with nearly an entire hamburger in it rotting on the porch. It was there on Friday night... and on Saturday, covered with scores of flies... and wasn't removed until today (Wednesday). Like, seriously... that is just gross. And the week before that, the woman who lives in that apartment complained to me about the hallway light and how I should turn it off because it shines into her bedroom at night. But I guess it's ok to leave rotting food sitting outdoors in 80+ degree weather for all residents to behold. Gah-ross. So, now I leave the light on freely. Bedamned, green lifestyles. In the years I've lived in a college town, I've encountered all sorts of people and strange behaviors in their living situations, but never encountered a hamburger on a porch. Let's hope this isn't some recurring pattern. 

In other news, I've decided I hate writing (academically, that is) and that perhaps I should really consider another career path. 

1 comment:

Niya said...

I don't know if you are serious or not, but I'm coming to that realization "for real." Perhaps not the best thing to realize after two weeks in the PhD program, but mind-blowing nonetheless. Let me know if you want to start a small business.