Sunday, January 11, 2009

thank you, Mrs. Judy Aufdenberg

I received a copy of Reader's Digest in my mailbox the other day, something I found weird, as I really didn't realize they existed outside of doctor's office waiting rooms. I assumed it was one of those free trials or something, until I saw that on the back of the magazine, it stated, "Mrs. Judy Aufdenberg of Jackson, MO sends good wishes to you with this new one-year, Reader's Digest gift subscription. Enjoy this gift and best wishes throughout the year. Happy Holidays!" The magazine was addressed to one Mr. Brian D. Roth at Apartment 3 on 404 E. Main St., DeSoto, IL. My boyfriend's last name is Roth, but he is Michael W., not Brian D. We also live in Apartment 3 of our building, but not on Main St. (although the address is quite similar: 407 instead of 404). Also, I do not know anyone from Jackson, MO, and certainly no Judy Aufdenberg (although I must admit her gift was quite generous). Isn't that weird? At first, when I saw the 'Roth' on the address label, I assumed it was from one of his relatives sending a (poorly-chosen) gift, but I suppose there is another Roth about town, bereft of a Reader's Digest subscription from a well-intentioned aunt or grandmother (you have to admit, a Reader's Digest subscription seems like a rather grandmotherly gift). In any case, I suppose I'll enjoy my free subscription and hope that this mail person's error doesn't result in some rift in the Aufdenberg/Roth family.

No comments: