Thursday, January 15, 2009

typical SIU runaround.

Annoyingly enough, my 102 class meets in a different location on Wednesdays, specifically, in the ASA building. I did not know how to even get to this building until early Wednesday morning, but managed to find the classroom after ending up in the Engineering Building main office, a courtyard, the dental clinic, etc. (This was somewhat serendipitous, though, as I've been meaning to schedule a dental appointment, and now I have!) I had made two lesson plans for this day, as I was not sure if I would be in a computer classroom. Happily, it was a 'SMART' classroom, but the podium was locked. Usually, one can procure a key at a nearby office or desk, so I went to a nearby office, only to learn that I would have to get the key at the... library. Which isn't across campus or anything, but not close by any means. So, I'm like, "I have to go to the library before EACH Wednesday class!?" and she's like, "No, you'll get a key to hold onto for the semester," which is fine and all, but I was hoping to teach on the computer that day. I had a PowerPoint presentation and everything! So, instead, I blabbered on about arguments and whatever the fuck else is in chapter two of Everything's an Argument. I'm sure the students would have preferred the PowerPoint presentation to my rambling, as well :) So, I've been trying to get in touch with this computer guy at the library, but we keep missing each other. And then the classroom I teach in on Mondays and Wednesdays was 90 degrees (no exaggeration; the thermostat told me so) on the first day, so I'm just truly blessed with my classrooms this semester. I'm thinking layering is in my future... teaching in a cashmere sweater the other day was disastrous, as I was profusely sweating in front of 20 disinterested, and most likely, disgusted, students. I continue to amaze myself daily with my poise and sophistication. 

No comments: